Friday, October 12, 2007

Book Club, Anyone?

OK, this may well be doomed to failure, but I thought it would be worth a go anyway! :)

Today I picked up a book from the Koorong catalogue (for those non-Aussies, Koorong is an Australian Christian bookstore). The book is called Women, Ministry and the Gospel: Exploring New Paradigms. It's a collection of essays presented at the 2005 Wheaton College Theology conference.

Now this seems like a really interesting book. The problem is, with my current small children and brain-eaten situation, I have a great deal of trouble sitting down and reading an entire "thinking" book from beginning to end. Trashy, useless novels? No problem. Important theological discussions? Whew. Too much hard work!
So, with sudden flash of inspiration, I wondered if there was anyone who'd be interested in reading it along with me - someone to keep me accountable, as it were!

The idea is, we'd go through a chapter or two a week, and discuss it on this blog. Each chapter is a self-contained essay looking at different issues within the bible, gender and ministry. It would be a great opportunity to interact with each others' ideas, and look at where some elements of contemporary scholarship are sitting on these issues. A chapter a week isn't too much - most chapters are only about 20 pages.

So who's in? If you'd like to get yourself a copy, you can find it here, or here, or here. (NB: some sites have prices in US currency or Australian currency).

3 comments:

Megan said...

hey there! i was just thinking this week of starting a book club via my blog! so i'm in! But I will have to get book first - why dont we start it in a week or so? and I will promote on my blog too ! can we do a fiction book next (i.e. one non fiction then a fiction, turn and turn about maybe very very excited here tyoing v fast

Kris said...

Great minds think alike, eh? Sounds like a fantastic idea. We'll probably need a fiction break after the heavy non-fiction workout! :)

Prue said...

I would like to try and have a go too, but can't definitely commit to every week - who knows what I might have to deal with from week to week with a baby!

And I have a suggestion for the next non-fiction book - Disciplines of a Godly Woman - I have read it already, but I think it will be a book that I need to read over and over from time to time to kick my bum into gear!